As a homeowner, one of the scariest dangers to your property and family is the potential for a fire. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated in 2019 that American homeowners suffered about $1.6 billion in damages by means of accidental or negligent fires. The terrible truth is fires are unpredictable and many times preventable -- if you know where to look. And hopefully you are ready with a monitored fire alarm that gets you aid immediately should you ever have an outbreak.
What Causes House Fires In Sacramento?
Fires can happen anywhere at any time in the house. However, you can lessen the danger of fire by taking countermeasures around the following items:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is far and away the leading cause of a house fire in Sacramento. Cooking-related blazes commonly begin when the kitchen is left neglected while making the meal. Water thrown on a grease fire only works to spread a flame that would otherwise be contained.
- Candles: Going to sleep in an area with a lit candle is risky, even if you’re using a deep candle holder. The flame can blow and catch a curtain on fire if left on a window sill, and pets can knock candles over. The National Fire Protection Association approximates that greater than 7,600 homes were damaged due to candle-related incidents between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Old electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, aging or incorrectly set up lighting, and split lamp cords can all cause a fire. Be careful not to overload your outlets or plug an item in with uncovered wires. On the off chance you hear popping or smell smoke from the outlet, power down the breaker off before your investigation.
- Space Heaters: Skip over coiled space heaters because junk, like pet fur, paper or plastic scraps, or blankets can find their way in and alight. However, you need to make sure to oversee fan and ceramic space heaters for the entire duration of operation.
- Cigarettes: Just in 2014, U.S. fire departments came to more than 17,000 residence fires triggered by cigars, pipes, or cigarettes. If you enjoy tobacco in the house, be certain they never fall asleep with a cigarette or lay in bed with one. And fully snuff out your paraphernalia prior to placing it into a garbage can.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Will Help When It Senses A Fire
If a fire should break out, you will need to have a speedy warning system to notify your spouse and children as soon as possible. An ordinary smoke alarm is adequate but is limited to alerting you if smoke is abundant. An advanced fire alarm -- a piece of equipment that's connected to your home security system -- is able to detect both smoke and excess heat and can do more to make sure your family is safe.
A monitored fire alarm has multiple ways it can alert you of rising heat. Your alarms can alert your loved ones with an ear-piercing siren and an alert to your cell phone. Then your ever-vigilant monitoring experts will contact the fire department. And if you're ever somewhere where you’re unable to race back in time when a fire starts, you can rest assured that your monitoring agent can help coordinate contact between you and the fire department.
Utilize Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The chance of house fires in Sacramento should never be written off, but you can have peace of mind if you have a monitored fire alarm on the premises. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you get all the fire detectors you need with a comprehensive home security system. Call (916) 407-0556 or fill out the form below to get started.